Sunday 18 September 2011

Working Girl Survival Guide

On Monday it was my first day at work. I was more anxious than excited. Monday found me wondering what i was to do in my new job. I became part of a small team of 20-somethings that manage the website of a newspaper. 

Our main tasks are to upload content from the print version, use social media to promote the paper and finally write news stories. Did i say write? haha I meant paraphrase from other news outlets. It's the plagiarism sort of journalism. I'm not digging it- AT ALL.

This put aside, it was made clear to me that I was not to write about music, popular culture or the arts. In other words, i was not to write about anything of my interest. Great! Did i mention i was told off twice for misspelling something?

This 9-3 "job" is unpaid, so I also work a 4-9 job. I love this job of mine. It's fun, I get to deal with a lot of people and it's in a brilliant environment. We are treated as part of the team, and an equal to our boss! 

Working 2 jobs each day is draining. However,  I tell thee blogworld, I decided to fight against it! To start with, i have a new lunch bag!! It's super-cute and ethical! :) 

Lazy Oaf, my new friend
www.lazyoaf.com

Lunch is a big deal for me, as it's my only proper meal of the day, so any given day this bag contains a salad or homemade snack, not heavy on the stomach-you don't want to be sleepy at the job!-fruit, water and my coffee!!! I love my coffee, if everything else goes, coffee stays! 

Each day i put a lot of effort to brighten up my day! I listen to upbeat songs everyday at the metro, not caring if i sing along or have a small dance on the spot and I wish Good-morning to everyone at work like I really mean it! Most importantly, I try not to let the bad things get to me. They can take my work-hours, but they cant take away my character or my right to a happy day!

And just to top it off, i make sure everyday i do one of the things i like. I have dancing lessons every Tuesday and I try to go out with friends at least once a week. For me though, the most important thing is to remind ourselves that there are people who support us. So i decorated my wall accordingly. 

The Wall

I saw this "display" at my friends house and i knew that was the one i should have on my wall. On it i have one photo that symbolizes something very important for me and also a person that i love, admire and am inspired from. I would like also to publicly thank each one of them, you know who you are. How do you deal with the hardships of life?And in your honest opinion, should i quit? 

1 comment:

  1. Keep the job and keep up the good posts, its inspiration

    ReplyDelete